Cores End United Reformed Church traces its roots back to the work of Thomas Grove, a 18th Century preacher who began preaching in a barn in what is now the church’s graveyard. He donated the land for the church to use and to this day there remains a plaque on the graveyard wall with the words: ‘This wall is part of the barn in which the founder of the Church, the Rev. T. Grove first held services, 1768’. From those humble beginnings the church grew, with a chapel built in 1781. This was replaced in 1804 and then extended in 1881 to form the present building. Originally an independent church, it became Cores End United Reformed Church in 1972 when Presbyterians and Congregationalists across the country came together to form a new united church.
Fancy reading more? Click here!